A number of iPhone Explosion cases have surfaced in a while now. Soon iPhones began bursting into flames resulting in severe burns and injuries.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and Underwriter Laboratories (UL) gave assurance to Apple users that iPhones were quite safe and nothing worrisome was present. Despite that, we frequently come to know of explosions that give us goosebumps. If you have got yourself a brand new iPhone 7, iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus, this might come in useful to you too. An iPhone explosion can seriously harm its owner and we now have three more instances proving it.
A cyclist suffers third-degree burns
The 36-year-old from Bondi was riding around Manly Dam on Sunday afternoon when he fell from his bike, landing on his iPhone 6. Seconds later he noticed smoke and a searing heat, before hearing an explosion as the phone he’d had for just six months ignited, melting through his shorts and two layers of skin on his upper right thigh.
“I suddenly saw this incredible plume of smoke,” Gareth told the Daily Mail. “And there was a searing pain that went along with it – as though someone had pushed a huge block of ice against my leg.” He suffered some really bad burns around his right thigh. The man reported his iPhone was about to melt in his pocket and he could not do anything about it. “It had to have been more than 100 degrees.” he said.
Still in pain pic.twitter.com/WSDxmUKNN0
— Gareth Clear (@gareth_clear) August 2, 2016
Clear walked back to the town bearing pain from the injuries. He was then admitted Royal North Shore hospital to receive a skin graft. Apple soon contacted the injured man itself and is now investigating the matter. The news has gone wildly viral and is terrifying iPhone users while some look to switch to a different brand.
The Ballooning battery
Two residents of Czech Republic reported that their iPhone 3GSes didn’t explode, but instead ballooned up. This made their iPhones split open. Thankfully the incident was slow and did not harm either of them. The lithium ion battery inside the devices had expanded to thrice its original size. Apple is currently investigating the issue. The image above comes from iPatch, a repair specialist in the UK that specializes in iOS devices like the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. They say that it is actually a common problem with the iPhone 3GS.
The Back pocket burn
An 8th grader suffered minor burns as her iPhone 5C began overheating in the back pocket of her pants. Soon the iPhone started emitting smoke. It has been reported that the reason behind overheating can be the pressure on the phone’s system because the girl was basically sitting on a bench at the time. The afflicted student is alright and is healing. The Fire Marshall is reportedly looking into the case further.
This incident highlights the dangers of keeping our smartphones in the back pocket. Putting unnecessary pressure on smartphones significantly raises the risk of a phone’s battery exploding.
Another case of an iPhone overheating was put forth by Tim Stenovec of Business Insider,
I was at one of New York City’s public beaches with some of my friends (as well as everyone else in the city, it seemed like). We were hanging out on the sand, and I was streaming music from my phone to some Bluetooth speakers. But about a half hour into listening to the music, it abruptly stopped.
I looked down at my phone, expecting to see that my battery had died, or that the speakers had disconnected from the phone. But instead, I saw a black screen with a red thermometer on it notifying me that my iPhone had to cool down before I could use it again. (I was, however, able to grab a screenshot of the warning.) He says.
Here’s the screenshot he mentioned above in one of his statement:
How to prevent an iPhone explosion
iPhones are relatively fragile than the smartphones of other brands and therefore need relatively more care and precaution. The above instances must be quite enough to reflect how nasty an iPhone explosion can be. The next victim can be you just as easily. However, these cases are just a few unfortunate people out of hundreds of thousands of smartphone users around the globe. You don’t have to panic. According to evidence and observations, three main causes are behind these explosions:
- Excessive pressure
We strongly recommend keeping track of the number of hours you charge your iPhone. Don’t leave it plugged in overnight as that can lead to overcharging. You can use the smart battery case but that has a number of flaws as well. Also, avoid carrying your iPhone in your back pocket at any cost. However, nothing can be done if your iPhone overheats due to system problems.
An iPhone can overheat due to other reasons as well. Do not expose your iPhone to direct sunlight for a long period. The iPhone is designed to operate correctly in areas where the temperature is between 0º C and 35º C. One has to take some precaution if the temperature exceeds that limit. Avoid leaving your iPhone in your car when you park it. The temperature in a parked car can rise rapidly.